BATON ROUGE, La. (KTVE/KARD) – The Louisiana State Police released a statement on a comprehensive review and evaluation of its policies, procedures and practices in the department. According to their statement, the state police want to work with the Bowman Group to drive organizational change and improve public safety services.
“Since accepting the position of Superintendent of the Louisiana State Police, I have been committed to earning back the trust of our citizens, our law enforcement partners, our political leaders and men and women of our agency,” said Col. Lamar Davis, Louisiana State Police Superintendent. . “Through this collaboration, we continue our commitment to the reform process as we work to build trust within our communities.”
Police said the counseling services would run through May 2023 and would cost nearly $1.5 million split between fiscal years 2022 and 2023. Police tell us the Bowman Group is a respected organization in the international scale that has been proven to improve the operations of police services. The group says it conducts system assessments, analyzes policies, evaluates technology and improves training.
Police tell us the Department of Public Safety has worked, over the past 17 months, to carefully assess and review operational processes and practices looking for ways to fundamentally improve operations, training and administration. . According to the police, the department is committed to transformation at all levels.
The Bowman Group, according to police, will conduct a full top-down assessment and provide recommendations and information to share with staff and the public.
Police tell us that the consulting team will provide a detailed law enforcement organizational assessment to cover key operational and organizational areas, including:
- Community Policing/Engagement and Civil Complaints
- Assessment of the Agency’s Use of Force Policies, Procedures and Protocols
- Crisis intervention (de-escalation)
- Fair and impartial policing practices (stops, searches, arrests)
- Organizational culture, leadership and professional development
- Recruitment, hiring, promotion and retention
- Officer Wellness and Employee Assistance and Early Intervention Systems
- Training and Academy Operations
- Technology, data collection and resources